For sensitive legal advice regarding family matters, covering Welling, Erith and beyond, call Chancellors Lea Brewer LLP Solicitors on:
Powers of Attorney
Bexleyheath, Welling, Crayford and Bexley
Our services include:
- General Powers of Attorney – appropriate for short term appointments, such as to cover your absence abroad.
- Lasting Powers of Attorney (Property and Financial Affairs) – used to appoint someone of your choice to make decisions in relation to your finances.
- Lasting Powers of Attorney (Health and Welfare) – to appoint someone of your choice to make personal decisions about your welfare including end of life decisions.
- Registration of Enduring Powers of Attorney – with the Office of the Public Guardian.
Our specialist advisors Alison Kemsley and Tara Pitts are members of Solicitors for the Elderly, an independent national organisation where members provide specialist legal advice for older and vulnerable people, their families and carers.
Lasting Powers of Attorney
Most of us are aware that making a will is something which needs to be done to plan ahead for what will happen after our deaths. Few recognise the importance of planning for situations which may arise later in life when assistance may be needed with day to day decisions. Who is going to help us make these decisions and carry them out?
If you lose your mental capacity and have not made a Lasting Power of Attorney, no one will be able to make decisions on your behalf unless authorised by the court. This involves a lengthy and costly application for someone to be approved as your Deputy. Ultimately the court decides who is a suitable person to make decisions for you, this may be someone you do not know and who does not know you.
Lasting Powers of Attorney provide long-term reassurance and certainty
Making a Lasting Power of Attorney allows you to choose someone you trust to make decisions and act on your behalf in relation to your property and finances and/or your health and welfare. Lasting Powers of Attorney continue even if you lose your mental faculties but while you have the ability to make your own decisions, you are in control.
- Special Offer – make a Lasting Power of Attorney at the same time as you make a will and receive a 10% reduction on our fees for Lasting Powers of Attorney.
Enduring Powers of Attorney
Although this type of power of attorney can no longer be made, existing Enduring Powers of Attorney remain valid. If a person loses their capacity and has made a power of attorney of this type, the attorneys should cease to act until such time as it has been registered with the court.
Make an enquiry about Powers of Attorney. We are also experts in property matters and dispute resolution, covering Beckenham, Petts Wood and beyond.