For sensitive legal advice regarding family matters, covering Welling, Erith and beyond, call Chancellors Lea Brewer LLP Solicitors on:
Fare Evasion Solicitors
Bexleyheath, Welling, Crayford and Bexley
We have excellent experience dealing with fare evasion matters. We have consistent success in settling matters out of court, avoiding a criminal record.
What is fare evasion?
Passengers using public transport may be liable to pay a fine or prosecution for:
- travelling on a train or bus without a valid ticket or permit to travel
- travelling in a class of accommodation for which your ticket is not valid
- being in a compulsory ticket area without a valid ticket or permit to travel
- using a ticket or permit which belongs to someone else
- using a ticket or permit which is restricted to a different train company
- travelling on a day, date or time during which restrictions are imposed which render your ticket or permit invalid.
- starting, breaking and resuming or ending your journey when you are not entitled to do so.
There can be harsh consequences, even where there is a genuine mistake or misunderstanding of the law if the case is not properly argued. It is therefore important that you seek legal advice at the earliest opportunity.
If you have been stopped and it has been alleged that you have evaded fares this will trigger a process. The earlier that we are involved in this process the more likely it is that we will be able to resolve the matter for you.
Most prosecutions are brought under the Regulation of Railways Act 1889, although some Byelaw offences are punishable by way of a fine. Where the fare evasion is carried out over a long period of time, a prosecution can be made for fraud under the Fraud Act 2006.
How we can help
Our fare evasion solicitors are familiar working with the major train and bus companies in England. We offer face to face, telephone or video consultations to best advise you and help resolve the matter as quickly and efficiently as possible. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to see how we can assist you.